Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Safe Haven

I love, love, LOVE to read. Duke bought me a Kindle for Christmas last year, and I love my Kindle. It's really cool because you can find lists of the daily free Kindle books online and it only takes a matter of seconds to download an entire book. But, sometimes the books on Kindle cost just as much as a paperback, and if I have a choice on which to buy, I will always go with the actual book. There's nothing like having the actual book in your hands when you read it.

Nicholas Sparks is probably my favorite author. I've read all of his books except for The Wedding and Three Weeks with My Brother. I love the fact that he can take very average characters and turn the plot onto something completely amazing. I think that Sparks is one of those authors that you will either really enjoy, or completely dislike. His books are romantic (but not at all trashy), but usually involve some sort of mystery or twist. I always read his books in a day because they are just that good.

This week I read Safe Haven.


Ohhhh my goodness. It was so, so amazing. Definitely one of his best books and one of the best books I've ever read. Like many of the other Nicholas Sparks books, it is being made into a motion picture and will come out next year. I am so sad that I am finished with the book, and I am sure that I will read it again before I see the movie.

My favorite quote from the book:

"Maybe I don't want to be defined by what I do. Maybe I'd like to be defined by what I am."
---Nicholas Sparks in Safe Haven.

I have been starting to freak out lately because I am twenty-four years old, and I am still unsure about what I want to do as a career. I feel like I've got everything else in my life figured out, except my career choice. This quote describes exactly how I feel, I just could never quite put it into words.

So sometimes, you have to remind yourself to calm down, and take life one day at a time. Look around and enjoy it. Be present. Don't live in the past, and stop trying to live in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment